Its not even 10am yet, and already today I've recieved 3 groups of travel receipts that I need to do a reimbursement for, answered 10 emails, written 10 more emails, gotten 20 things to put on my task list for the day, put contact information from random collected business cards into my boss' contacts....oh, and written a personal thank you card to send FROM my boss. Ever seen "the devil wears prada"? Well, thats me. Except my boss is a whole lot nicer than that lady. Thank goodness.
I always thought I would love being a secretary. And I actually do like it-most of the time. I love to be organized and keep people on schedule and on task, but I hate being a doormat. And thats what secretaries are. Always. Its really too bad, because secretaries are the ones who do all the work. The boss' run from meeting to meeting, making business contacts, speaking, lecturing, whatever....but secretaries are the ones who write the recommendation letters, who schedule meetings, keep minutes, fix things, type things, and sometimes even pour the coffee. (Thankfully not in my case.) Example: My boss often comes to me asking me to fix her computer, her printer, her file cabinet, etc. Often, its a simple push of a button that does the job, and when it takes more than that, it is usually pretty simple to figure out, or at least find the solution somehow. How is it that the educated people of the world get off doing nothing, and the "bottom feeders", so to speak, are the ones who end up having a vast knowledge about computers, the internet, and an array of other topics, mainly because they have to? Its pretty ironic to me.
Anyways, enough on that.
Emily, promise me you won't do this to people when you become a doctor!
I am ready to go to school. And learn. And get a job that I feel like I was born to do. Why does it seem SO far away? I am stuck in the secretary rut until then I'm afraid...
2 comments:
i make no such promises. i plan to, upon graduation, immediately forget how to send and answer email, remember important dates, pour coffee, and chew before swallowing.
my job is much too important for that....
in a serious note, i think that it is an interesting phenomenon. i think that it is reflective of the amount of work we deem feasible for one person to do, that they need to have multiple assistants to help. i would just rather not be so busy that i need to depend on someone else. but that would seem like i was being lazy. catch 22, anyone?
I know...we're anxious to be working a real job (perhaps with real pay?) and feel like we're actually doing what we've spent our lives preparing for! You'll get there...I love you
Post a Comment