I have been struggling with the idea of "church" lately. Since moving to Nashville, I was faced for the first time in my life with the decision of CHOOSING a church. It is a strange concept to me, since I had always just gone where my parents went, but now Jay and I have been cut loose from our church obligations that we had in Duxbury and are free to find a place where we feel we can truly connect.
Its not that I disliked or had anything against the churches in my past, but they haven't really hit the mark for me with struggles I'm having, or ideas and thoughts that have been floating around in my head. I struggle with the fact that there are so many churches out there- so many different denominations and sets of rules and regulations. Are we not all worshipping the same God and working toward the same goals? Lately, I have come to think of it a different way, however. I'm realizing that there are so many churches because everyone is different. Nobody worships in the same way. Everyone's styles are different and what draws one to feel the closeness of God may not work the same way for another.
So should we not search out a church that makes us feel passion for following God and doing His will? Some desire the ritualistic nature of more conservative churches, and heavily feel his presence in sacraments and reverent hymns. And thats cool. However, I have a hard time relating to churches like that. Churches where you sit, stand, sit, stand, fold your hands and pray, hymn, take communion in an orderly fashion, sit quitely while listening to the message, stand, leave. I need a church where I feel alive and energized by the worship. A church that does not worry about staying inside a bubble of rules and regulations. A church that I truly feel God bringing my spirit back to life week after week. A church thats main goal is to help the undeserved and underpriviledged. A church that inspires me to live as Jesus did, and where nothing else matters. Is that too liberal of me?
I just feel that I have reached a point in my life, where I need to make a decision. Either to stay inside my comfortable zone in a familiar church, or reach out and strive to be where I feel I need to be.
2 comments:
i'm chuckling a little, because i currently attend the most liturgical and most liberal church i ever have...so for me, it's the combo of the stand up and sit down and the charge to think and do those actions you were talking about...
hmm, sounds like you're looking for a pentecostal church...I'm not so sure thats what you want either! Its really hard to find a church... :(
Post a Comment