Interesting results:
"What religion are you" Quiz:
1. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (100%)
2. Liberal Quakers (92%)
3. Orthodox Quaker (90%)
4. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (79%)
5. Bahá'í Faith (77%)
6. Unitarian Universalism (75%)
7. Seventh Day Adventist (64%)
8. Reform Judaism (56%)
9. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (54%)
10. Neo-Pagan (54%)
11. Sikhism (53%)
12. Taoism (53%)
13. Mahayana Buddhism (51%)
14. Secular Humanism (51%)
15. Theravada Buddhism (51%)
16. Eastern Orthodox (50%)
17. Roman Catholic (50%)
18. Jainism (49%)
19. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (47%)
20. New Age (46%)
21. Islam (45%)
22. Orthodox Judaism (45%)
23. Jehovah's Witness (38%)
24. Nontheist (34%)
25. New Thought (26%)
26. Hinduism (25%)
27. Scientology (23%)
"What protestant denomination are you?" Quiz:
(100%) 1: Liberal/Progressive Protestants
(93%) 2: Reformed
(91%) 3: Bible/Nondenominational
(90%) 4: Lutheran
(88%) 5: Baptist
(85%) 6: Presbyterian
(85%) 7: Wesleyan/Methodist
(82%) 8: Anabaptist/Pietist
(82%) 9: Anglican
(76%) 10: Charismatic/Pentecostal
These were fun and interesting to do, but it made me think a lot. I am Nazarene because that is what I was born into, and what my husband was brought into as a teenager. However, lately I've been trying to strip away the messages pounded into me my whole life and really get to the basis of what I believe and why I believe it. And the scary fact is that while I've been doing this, I am starting to believe that the bulk of Christians have it all wrong. I am not claiming to know what "right" is, but something isn't working...something isn't making sense and I don't think it will until I figure out what it is and how to fix it.
There are so many beautiful things that can be drawn out of different religions and faiths that just make sense to me, sometimes even more than things I've been taught over the years. I've come to realize that I don't HAVE to believe these things. I have to be true to my heart, and trust that the Lord is leading me down a path of truth. The guilt and fear I feel throughout this process is directly related to being nervous about the possibility of figuring out that my beliefs are not my parents', my churches', or even my "denominations'". But without this spiritual journey, there is a looming schism between me and God- one that I want to erase for good.
Things that DO make sense to me:
After reading Dave's most recent post, I started thinking about anabaptist culture. Much to my husband's ridicule, I have pretty much been obsessed with Amish/Mennonite culture since I went on an interterm trip to Lancaster, PA in high school. Their ways of life are so different-and beautiful. There are definitely major points of their religious system that I do not agree with, but their way of life is simple, and freeing.
The Amish live simply. They make/grow their own food, wear simple clothing that they mend themselves, build their own homes and barns, and do not have trinkets or modern conveniences of any kind. They put a huge emphasis on family, taking special care of their elderly and children especially. I think this is so important- and doesn't usually hit close to home for people until someone in your family that you love dies. There's always guilty feelings like "If only I had spent more time with them...cared for them more...made sure they knew I loved them...etc." Family is so important to me, and that just makes sense.
The Amish/Anabaptists in general are also pacifists, which I am strongly drawn to as well. Nothing else makes sense to me, but to turn the other cheek and not use means of violence or take other's lives as Jesus taught. I understand WHY we go to war (to "protect our country", to "save" others' countries) and I am still a little fuzzy on what is justifiable war, mostly due to lack of knowledge. But what I do know is that Jesus did not fight back when He was on the cross, and he did not once justify any kind of violence or the practice of taking God's job of judgment into human hands.
Besides anabaptist values, other things that make sense to me include loving others unconditionally, making social justice the #1 concern of the Church, living below your means/not living extravagantly, giving time and money to charity, protecting the environment and helping others at all costs. These are things I do not see addressed often in churches I've attended.
I think the POINT of Christianity should be to LOVE others and HELP the underserved primarily. Not to drive to church on Sunday mornings in a fancy car, raise your hands on cue for the 3.5 praise songs, smile and nod during a sermon, give your 10% because you're "supposed" to, and then go home to your nice house and delicious dinner until next week.
Like I said before, I still haven't quite figured out exactly what I believe and why I believe it, but I do know that something has to change. At least inside of me and my family.
1 comment:
you, my friend, seem to be leaning towards the Brethren in Christ denomination. Messiah is a BIC school, my sister went to Harrisburg BIC (HUGE on being a part of the community, racial reconciliation, they have a farm in the city, plus it's how i got my house, being a part of the community). Plus, Brethren in Christ is rooted in the anabaptist history - mostly Mennonite.
i'm excited to be able to talk to you face to face about some of these things - VERY similar to thoughts i have been having for a while now.
Post a Comment