I guess another reason why I am hesitant to be involved in politics is because I hate fighting and disagreements, especially with close friends and family. I like to avoid conflict whenever possible, and politics is probably the #1 thing that people get heated about. But at the same time, if I complain about and want to see a change in America, it is important for people like me to make an educated vote when the time comes.
I have some surface opinions, but they need to be hashed out and researched a whole lot more before I can claim them as my own. One thing that has gotten me in some hot almost-arguments (because in true Kara style, I try to divert the conversation before it gets heated)is the issue of religion in politics. I, for one, don't personally believe that what a candidate is "labeled" as should define their competency to lead the country. Yes, I believe in God, and have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ (I have become really bitter toward the word "Christian" lately)but just because a political candidate professes to be a "Christian" does not necessarily mean that: A)They actually adhere to Christian moralistic standards, and B) They automatically will make the right decisions for the country. Those labels really mean nothing to me. I instead prefer to look at their stances on issues and their personalities to see if Christ is emulated through them by their basic values. Sadly, there are many people who have higher and better moralistic standards and values than most people who claim to be Christians. So, long story short, what candidates "claim" to be doesn't mean anything to me.
Other than that, I really am feeling convicted to learn more about politics and specifically the 2008 candidates. Maybe my next entry will be a little more opinionated :)
And now some things to keep me occupied at work:
You Are a Comma |
![]() You are open minded and extremely optimistic. You enjoy almost all facets of life. You can find the good in almost anything. You keep yourself busy with tons of friends, activities, and interests. You find it hard to turn down an opportunity, even if you are pressed for time. Your friends find you fascinating, charming, and easy to talk to. (But with so many competing interests, you friends do feel like you hardly have time for them.) You excel in: Inspiring people You get along best with: The Question Mark |
You Should Be a Doctor |
![]() You are practical, sharp, and very intuitive. Optimistic and energetic, you are a problem solver who doesn't get discouraged easily. You are also quite compassionate and caring. You make people feel hopeful. You're highly adaptable and capable. You do well with almost any curve ball life throws at you. You do best when you: - Are always learning new subjects - Use your knowledge to solve problems You would also be a good therapist or detective. |
You Are 84% Good |
![]() You are not only a good person... you are a model citizen and a natural leader. Whether you know it or not, your high moral standards and good judgment is truly rare. You don't take ethical short cuts in life. You are able to do what's right - even when it's very difficult. And while it may seem like no one else is as on track as you are, take heart in knowing that you set a good example for others. You are also probably: Very sensitive and in tune with the world Right now you are on track to being: A saint To be a better person: Gently mentor someone who is taking the wrong path in life |
You Are a Liberal Lady |
![]() Like Cameron Diaz and Drew Barrymore, you don't shy away from your liberal causes. You may consider yourself a feminist, and you definitely trust your heart to tell you what's right. You are likely to have a million issues you care about - and not nearly enough time to devote to them all. |




2 comments:
it was just a matter of time before all those quizzes made a comeback... :-)
i also have a lot to be hashed out before nov. definitely don't worry about the argument part - you don't have to get into any sort of discussion with anyone about it. so who cares what someone else's opinion is? i am, currently, intrigued by the democratic race right now, because i like the competition. come august, when the general election race comes around, i will be doing my best to learn everything i can about each candidate.
my favorite way to get involved in the politics though is through podcasts mostly. on itunes you can search for podcasts just under "election 08." i try to avoid the ones put out by the specific candidates, but love to listen to Slate's Political Gabfest, Anderson Cooper 360, Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me (for information in a humorous way) - or, if you need something shorter (360 is about 25 minutes or less, and the others are each just under an hour i believe), CNN (and other news stations) put out shorter, less than 10 minute, updates throughout the week.
i probably could have posted this on my own blog huh? sorry, i've just sort of become obsessed with politics lately.
It occurred to me the other day, while driving home from work in Thompson Lane traffic that I would be able to infer quite a lot by asking people (cigarette smokers) why they smoke. Their answer would either be (a) that it's their right to put whatever they want in their bodies, (b) that they started a while back b/c their friends did it and now they're addicted, (c) they like it and don't see why they should stop, (d) all other answers I haven't thought of yet.
In any case, I wittled these imagined reasons down to 2 categories: smokers who don't know why they do or don't/should or shouldn't and smokers who don't care why...
I, personally, love to hear people's opinions on things like politics and religions, and not so much that I like to argue (because that's not fun at all). I'm in a constant search for middle ground, for a common denominator that helps us all see issues from the other perpective. Discussing (esp. listening) issues & opinions provides me the opportunity to see things differently and perhaps to also provide someone else with a new perspective. If it's within a strong relationship, I think these discussions can only add.
Post a Comment