5.18.2007

Wow, 2 posts in one day?

Lucky you. Haha.

I've been thinking a lot about friendships lately. Lately as in...the past year or so. They really are funny when you think about it. Especially friendships between girls. They are always so much more dramatic than guys' friendships. I mean, Jay is still friends with guys that REALLY screwed him over....girls would certainly have a problem with continuing those friendships!

I guess I'm kind of re-evaluating what I look for in a frienship. I've always had a lot of friends (not to be conceited or anything, it just happens!) and I've always liked it that way. Each friend brings something different to my life that I appreciate. Its incredibly rare to have one friend who has all the qualities you look for in a companion, so drawing different qualities from different people is quite refreshing. However, there are definitely different categories of friends as well...there's the friends who I like to hang out with, but don't necessarily trust them or tell them too much personal information, and then there are friends that I would trust with my life and tell them almost everything. There's friends that keep me in check and are always honest with me, and friends I can go to to make me feel better about myself. There are friends that make me laugh, and friends that let me cry. There are friends who I consider my "best friends"....who I trust, like to hang out with, who understand me, AND who I feel comfortable around. Thats a big one. You know you have a best friend if you can let a month or more go by without speaking to each other, and you can just pick up where you left off without any awkwardness. And obviously a lot of these categories overlap for most of my friends, but its just so funny and interesting how multi-faceted my friendships are.

I am just glad I have so many people who I can consider friends. I am learning my limits recently...as far as who to trust and when to keep my mouth shut and keep things to myself....but its really nice. Thank you...if you're reading this...for being one of my best friends. I have definitely grown to appreciate you so much more every day that goes by and every hardship I go through. I love you!

1 comment:

emily said...

i can be one of those friends that makes you feel better about yourself. all you have to think about is how great it is to not be in medical school. it should brighten all your days, right there.